Ties

I got commissioned to do a piece that focused around the importance of relationships and the ties that we all share with one another. This piece was done for a really great friend and inspirational person that has helped me in so many ways.

The ribbon-like string was chosen to represent the ties that we share with one another; they represent our past, present, and future with each other. More importantly, they represent our bonds. I liked the idea of ribbon because it reminds me of gifts and presents on birthdays and Christmas. And I think the ties that we share with each other should be valued the same way - as gifts. I incorporated knots for many reasons - we can view them as strong bonds that will never unravel, or we can see them as life-learning lessons. Whether these lessons are positive or negative doesn't matter. What does matter is what we take from every negative or positive experience to become better people.

I really loved working on this piece because so much of what it represents is so important to me as well. I feel like I have grown so much as an individual because of the people I have met along the way. They have taught me the value of hard work, dedication, patience, kindness, and being open to new possibilities in every/any form. I wish I could make a list of all the people that I'm grateful for but it would be unfair.

I made this piece for my friend Scott Emmerson. Thank you so much for everything.

Ties - acrylic paint on wood

Comments

Popular Posts