Colour My World


We all get lonely sometimes, even if and when we have family, friends, and significant others close by. I think it's because people, like everything else, become routinely. But every now and then change can happen. And whether or not we like it, it rocks our world.

While I was working on this piece I found that my life had become somewhat stagnant and repetitive. Ever since I returned to Toronto from Shanghai things have been busy and great but I found that there was no progressive change happening. After being in school for so long and adapting to a lifestyle of constant struggle (managing a life of work, school, projects, friends, family, love, and personal endeavors), I found myself a little bored with the way things were going. Basically - to make things short - nothing was pushing me.

Instead of wallowing in how my life had become routinely, I decided to take a risk. I had developed a bit of a travel bug from Shanghai and there was someone that I wanted to travel to. In all honesty, I didn't really know what I was looking for. I didn't have any solid plan but all I knew was that I would probably find what I was looking for by going. I thought I knew this person because we had shared something in the past and for me it was special. We had been discussing the idea and the possibility of me visiting her for a while and there was no real reason for me not to go - so I did. It's a very long story but I didn't end up seeing her. However, what's more important is that I went and that I did it - not for her or anyone else - but for me.

I backpacked throughout Europe on my own for two weeks and I experienced some amazing things that words simply can't express. It started out in Germany, made it's way to Amsterdam, and ended in Switzerland. I am so grateful to have met the people that I did during this trip and for the ones that helped me go on it in the first place.

It's hard to know what the future will look like for any of us because life is so uncertain. I had imagined a trip so different from the one I had gone on and I can try to look back and feel bitter for not having the trip I had intended on but I can't because I got one so much better.

We all need to be uncovered and discovered. For me, you coloured my world. 

Comments

Popular Posts